These are notes from our program time on Tuesday, February 28, 2012.
What is it that we (NBSF) need for support
This question was posed following the presentation from Greg Diven from Lee Hecht Harrison. NBSF members expressed their concerns about the future of employment at general agencies and annual conferences, funding of important ministries of racial ethnic groups, job market opportunities for older adults, and the ever-changing technical skills needed to complete in the workplace.
Members also shared their needs going into General Conference and beyond.
- Need people to speak boldly
- Clear priorities and holding the church accountable (mission v. institution)
- Identifying positions of influence at agencies/conference and diversity of representation
- Opportunities to take on new skills
- Need prayer and counseling
- Staying connected beyond employment
- Being aware of transitions
- Need to support one another not fight/compete
- We need to know each other better. Who's who and where are they?
- More awareness of NBSF - get info out to annual conferences
- Establishing a unifies strategy with other African groups
- Keep hope alive
- Find peace
- Need to connect with African delegates and churches
- Need to ask questions and get clear answers on the impact and effect of the call to action.
- List of resources about job transition (healthcare benefits, severance....)
- Need to remember why God called us to our current place - listen for God's voice and vision
- How can we document our [black staff] contributions to UMC? Lift up our legacy and celebrate our accomplishments.
Are there other needs that you want to share? The newly elected NBSF officers will be using these to guide future programming and development opportunities.
Share your thoughts!